Read all about it

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Crazy Sexy Yellow

What I realized today is how much cancer has given me.  It’s given me the opportunity to meet so many amazing people, travel to many amazing places and learn so much about myself.  Right now I’m on a plane to Dallas, TX to attend the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition conference for the week to hear more about this disease.  Though it has nothing to do with Andrew’s Sarcoma, it’s a cause near and dear to my own heart and to the hearts of the people around me.  I’m sad not to have Andrew joining me on this trip and I’m worried about him being able to take care of Winston for the week all by himself, but he was able to do it before we got married; so I’m sure that he can handle himself now ….. but if any of my friends who live close read this, give him a call this week to make sure both he and Winston are alive and eating (more than just cereal).

I know I’ve said many times before that I’ve made cancer my career and don’t think it’s a bad thing for now.  I’m reading an amazing book right now by Kris Carr.  She did a documentary back in early 2002, after being diagnosed with a type of sarcoma herself.  She’s also speaking at the conference that I’m about to attend.  I wish that I would have been given this book when Andrew was diagnosed.  She gracefully and humorously explains how to navigate your way through treatment, insurance, doctors, love, relationships and telling everyone you have cancer; with a brave face and a smile.  She’s really inspiring and a pioneer who puts a better face on the Big C word as she calls it.  Though I hope none of you need it, check out Crazy Sexy Cancer (the series). 

On the Andrew front, I think I’m finally getting him back after taking the Bar Exam.  He’s less stressed and ready to take on the world.  Though he now has to wait until the end of April to find out if he passed or not.  I like to think that this time the glass is half full and that he will pass …. I mean really, give us a break.  Doesn’t he at least deserve this one!!  He will find out right the results right before his next 3 month check-up with Dr. Stadddon, taking place in mid-May.  If I had to choose, of course, I would rather have his health, but really, can’t we get this one too!!!  But for now more wishing, hoping and praying …..

Tomorrow is also a holiday that we hope all of you will celebrate with us.  February 28th is National Rare Disease Day so please wear your Yellow in support of Andrew and for all patients and their families suffering from and dealing with Sarcoma.  This year we get to celebrate Rare Disease Day as another great milestone for Andrew.  He’s going on month 8, clear and free from cancer.  So wear your yellow -- -loud and proud. 

Raising Awareness for Rare Diseases ….

No comments:

Post a Comment